Articles & Tips
The Importance of Commercial Roof Maintenance & Repair
The roof is a commercial building’s first line of defense from natural hazards such as wind, rain, fire, hail, ice, snow, and extreme heat. It is also the most vulnerable part of your building. Every day, your roof is exposed to weather and other elements that may contribute to decay and deterioration, increasing the risk of damage to the roof itself and the contents below it.
The International Building Code (IBC), which sets safety standards for commercial building, requires that roofs “serve to protect the building.” Having a roof that “protects the building” starts with design, materials selection, and installation at the time a facility is built or remodeled—events that occur infrequently and may be outside the scope of most businesses’ ongoing activity. But it also includes a regular program of inspection, maintenance, and repair—activities that should be part of your operational planning in order to prolong the useful life of your roof and make sure it does its job in protecting your business from weather damage.
Contact SMART Roofing, Inc. today at 847.797.0404 for your commercial and residential roof maintenance & repair.
Excerpt from Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety
View All Articles
- What to do after a hailstorm?
- Understanding the Difference Between Standing Seam – Commercial Metal Roofs
- February 2021 Snowfall and Roofing Problems
- Smart Roofing and Rebuilding Together
- Cedar Shake Roofs in the Chicagoland Climate
- The Importance of Flat Roof Maintenance
- The Basics of Shingle Roofs
- Moisture Issues in Masonry Buildings with Flat Roofs in Chicago
- Chicago Bungalow Tile Roofs
- Holiday Decorating Could Damage Your Roof
- Proper Gutter Maintenance
- Is There Mold On Your Roof?