Articles & Tips
Chicago & Chicago Suburbs Roofing – Tips For Hiring A Roofing Contractor
Hiring A Roofing Contractor?
Here are some tips to make the best choice:
Call your local roofing distributor and ask for a list of qualified contractors.
Why? Roofing contractors are their customers.
Call on the roofing contractor’s referrals.
The best people to verify the quality of the installation is the people they have installed a roof for. Ask the contractor if they have a job in progress you can drive by. See how the jobsite looks, ask the homeowners if this has been a good experience so far. Call for a referral on a job a few years old, did they have to call the contractor back?
Make sure they have insurance.
It is important for safety on your job and the safety of the employees. Contractors that don’t pay insurance can offer pricing way lower. Why should you care? If they get hurt on your job, you may be liable.
The lowest bid is not always the best way to go.
The lowest estimate may be a great deal BUT do your homework. Perhaps he is not carrying insurance. Perhaps he measured incorrectly. A price too low can mean trouble.
Permits and Licenses
Not all states have contractor’s licenses and not all cities have building permits but it is always safe to check and make sure the contractor is licensed and your job is permitted when required.
This is your home.
Your roof protects the structure of your home, all of your possessions and your family. You could get kitchen cabinets on sale but there should be no cutting corners in roofing. That doesn’t mean you can’t be a smart shopper.
A few final things to remember:
-There can always be hidden surprises when you tear the old roof off. Wood and termite damage will add extra cost to your roof.
– You always need to allow extra material for cutting, waste and doubling up on materials around critical areas.
– Proper Ventilation for your roof may be extra. Your contractor will need to evaluate each job based on the insulation and your roofs ability to ventilate your house. Chances are good that you will have a good system in place. Improper ventilation could result in failure of your roof systems, such as causing wood rot or early deterioration of the roofing materials.
SMART Roofing, Inc. is a full-service roofing contractor serving Chicago and its surrounding suburbs. From roof assessments and repairs to installations of virtually every type of new residential roof and commercial roof, our commitment to excellence, stellar customer service, and exceptional results are the “SMART” roofing difference.
View All Articles
- What to do after a hailstorm?
- Understanding the Difference Between Standing Seam – Commercial Metal Roofs
- February 2021 Snowfall and Roofing Problems
- Smart Roofing and Rebuilding Together
- Cedar Shake Roofs in the Chicagoland Climate
- The Importance of Flat Roof Maintenance
- The Basics of Shingle Roofs
- Moisture Issues in Masonry Buildings with Flat Roofs in Chicago
- Chicago Bungalow Tile Roofs
- Holiday Decorating Could Damage Your Roof
- Proper Gutter Maintenance
- Is There Mold On Your Roof?