Articles & Tips
Proper Gutter Maintenance
Proper gutter maintenance is the #1 way to prevent expensive water damage to your home. Gutters are designed to do one thing — channel water away from the foundation — and they’re critical to protecting the structural integrity of your house. However, in order for gutters to do their job properly, they need to be maintained the property, and have to be kept free of clogs, holes, and sags.
Here are the most common gutter problems and how to fix them:
Clogged Gutters – This is the most common problem of all. Left untended, gutters and downspouts get so clogged with debris that they’re rendered useless. The excess weight of leaves, twigs, and standing water can also make them sag and pull away from the fascia. Clean them at least once a year, and twice a year if you have a lot of trees nearby.
Sagging Gutters – This is usually a problem with the hangers, the hardware that secures the gutters to the fascia. They might have deteriorated over time, the fasteners may have backed out of the wood, or they’re spaced too far apart to support the weight of full gutters. The cost to fix it yourself is cheap; hangers generally cost $10 or less apiece, and the fasteners run about $1 each.
Leaks and Holes – Leaks in gutter joints can be sealed by caulking the joint from the inside with gutter sealant. A tube costs about $5. Very small holes can be filled with gutter sealant. Larger holes will require a patch.
Downspouts Draining Too Close to the Foundation – Downspouts need to extend several feet from the house, or they’ll dump right into the basement. Gutter extensions attached to the bottom of the downspout will discharge water well beyond the foundation. They’re inexpensive and easy to install.
Contact Smart Roofing, Inc. at 847.797.0404 or email email@example.com for all of your residential and commercial roofing and gutter needs!
-excerpts from www.houselogic.comView All Articles
- Understanding the Difference Between Standing Seam Metal Roofs
- February 2021 Snowfall and Roofing Problems
- Smart Roofing and Rebuilding Together
- Cedar Shake Roofs in the Chicagoland Climate
- The Importance of Flat Roof Maintenance
- The Basics of Shingle Roofs
- Moisture Issues in Masonry Buildings with Flat Roofs in Chicago
- Chicago Bungalow Tile Roofs
- Holiday Decorating Could Damage Your Roof
- Proper Gutter Maintenance
- Is There Mold On Your Roof?
- Roof Maintenance & Inspections