Articles & Tips
Roof Hail Damage – Chicago
A third severe thunderstorm hit the Chicago area June 30th bringing hail and high winds that was sure to cause hail storm damage across the area. This comes after two severe thunderstorms the night before. There was widespread damage reported across the area where residents reported that there were golf ball sized hail stones reigning down.
The residents of these areas are always aware of the fact these thunderstorms can bring with them the kind of hail storm damage and roofing hail damage that can affect property values. Along with the hail, as much as 2 inches of rain was reported in some areas and the entire storm warning lasted for the Chicago area into the rush-hour.
It’s just this kind of event that makes the people living in these areas glad for the fact that they have SMART Roofing, Inc. on their side. They are experts when it comes to hail storm damage and they have a great reputation in the area as well.
Hail damage leads to expensive insurance claims. Hail accounts for more than $1.6 billion in damage per year, just in roof damage in the United States, according to the Federal Alliance of Safe Homes. When a storm hits your area, it may be difficult to see if the shingles on your roof have been damaged. However, there are some ways to determine if any damage has occurred.
How to Detect Roof Hail Damage
- Look at the drain downspouts around your house. If you see a high concentration of black mineral deposits around the downspouts, this may be a sign of damage to your roof.
- Check your gutters. If the metal gutters have dents or dings from the hail, there is a good chance that your shingles were damaged as well.
- Inspect the ceilings in your home for signs of a leak. This is evidenced by discolored patches or holes in the ceiling and the presence of moisture.
- Climb on the roof and check the shingles. The signs can be as subtle as a small dimple in a few shingles. If you suspect damage, consider calling a specialist to thoroughly inspect the shingles for you.
View All Articles
- What to do after a hailstorm?
- Understanding the Difference Between Standing Seam – Commercial Metal Roofs
- February 2021 Snowfall and Roofing Problems
- Smart Roofing and Rebuilding Together
- Cedar Shake Roofs in the Chicagoland Climate
- The Importance of Flat Roof Maintenance
- The Basics of Shingle Roofs
- Moisture Issues in Masonry Buildings with Flat Roofs in Chicago
- Chicago Bungalow Tile Roofs
- Holiday Decorating Could Damage Your Roof
- Proper Gutter Maintenance
- Is There Mold On Your Roof?